What questions should I ask my student to get to know them?
You won't have time to ask all of these in your first session, but you should continue learning about your student by asking a few of these questions at the beginning of each lesson!
- What are your hobbies and interests? What do you do for fun?
- Do you have any siblings? Pets?
- Share a favorite memory you made with a family member!
- What’s the best book you’ve ever read? Why did you like it?
- What’s your biggest dream in life?
- What’s one thing that makes you feel happy?
- Describe one of your favorite holiday traditions.
- Who is someone you consider a hero in your life? Why?
School & Tutoring:
- Why do you want tutoring? What do you hope to accomplish?
- Can you tell me about your favorite teacher? Why are they your favorite?
- What's your least favorite part of school? Why?
- If you could change something about school, what would you change?
- Describe one thing that makes you feel a sense of accomplishment. Why?
- How do you prefer to learn? (powerpoints, music, activities, vidoes, etc.)
- Do you need help with homework, preparing for a test, or general support?
- Is your teacher willing to be involved in your tutoring?